Monday, August 29, 2011

Smile for the camera

Finally! Something to write about!

I've often written about the happiness of this town, and I think I found a worthwhile cause to tie to Whistler.

A girl in Australia (my friend's sister) has started a campaign called One Million Smiles. She suffers from Fibromyalgia, a condition (for those of you that don't know) involving "long-term, body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues." Not nice. Sometimes these symptoms result in twisting the body into different positions that look (and are) uncomfortable.

Claudia began counting smiles, and would then judge her day as a good day or a bad day based on the smiles she received - a high number meant good, low number meant bad. Thus the idea of One Million Smiles was born. It's a heartwarming goal, and it relies on people, on awareness. You print out the Smile logo from Facebook, and take a picture of yourself with them. In front of the webcam is fine, but I'm gonna go for some serious GNAR points and take one through the village, snowboarding, what have you. The gauntlet hath been cast, who will be the one to pick it up? Go to the Facebook link, click "Like", and you're good to go. I want to see some people I know in her Smile File.

I think that's it. Go forth and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment