Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Beautiful Game, The Ugly World

Well folks, it's been a long summer, but through the excitement of the great season and job changes (for me) I, for one, have kept my eyes on the prize. That beautiful moment when hugging another grown man is practically expected, and, more importantly, baseball and football take a backseat for 8 months.

Hockey comes back today.

Lo
And
Behold!

Man, it's gonna be a good season. And it's going to help shoulder season go that little faster.

In Other News, Paris Hilton is a filthy whore. (But we all knew that.) Most recently, though, for her escapades with cocaine possession, and her relative lack of punishment. Community service is only a slap on the wrist anyway, but in the Hollywood Court of Justice, where it seems "custodial sentence' has never been uttered, a mere 200 hours for possession of a class A is laughable. The best thing they can describe her as is "party girl" or "socialite". When one is being social in LA, or partying, what's usually top of the grocery list? Exactly. The other white powder. When will they make an example of this waste of human existence? And that's all I'm writing about it.

Let's move on to radical fundamentalists. For the 3rd time in two weeks I have some religious fodder to consider. This time, it's the figurehead of the Christian faith causing ire, when last week, Pope Benedict XVI (or Joseph Alois Ratzinger under his real name) slammed atheists (such as myself), describing them (us?) as a "Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society", and urged followers in the UK to be vigilant against "aggressive forms of secularism".

Now listen. I have no intention of turning this into a pro-Atheist journal, but I merely work with the news that the world provides. I mean it when I say that I have no problem with anybody believing anything they damn well want, as long as it doesn't lead to them telling me why I'm wrong, or destined to burn in hell, or whatever. Likewise I respect their faith by not telling them why I don't do the whole religion thing. But a slam like this is just more witch-hunting from the Catholic Church while hundreds if not thousands of their shepherds abuse children entrusted to their care. Meanwhile, that same Pope Benny protects them by moving the offender to another parish. It sickens me to think that someone upholding monstrous behaviour has the nerve to judge and condemn someone because of their lack of beliefs. Again I ask: why does religion claim to be the way to go when it drives barriers and hate between us all?

Surf's up, Newfies!


By The Way: For those of you that don't know, my personal cure for a hangover is a banana, sliced up, and bacon, in a sandwich. Well someone has gone one better. Don't knock it till you've tried it! (Obviously not veggie friendly but I know they have their ways around that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment